Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell or taste radon, but it may be a problem in your home. The Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, you’re at high risk for developing lung cancer. Some scientific studies of radon exposure indicate that children may be more sensitive to radon. This may be due to their higher respiration rate and their rapidly dividing cells, which may be more vulnerable to radiation damage.
Either Passive or active devices are used to test for Radon levels. Short term 2-90 days, Long term "more accurate" 90-365 days.
Mitigation is achieved by the use of Passive or Active systems after any installation a retest should be performed to check that < 4 PCI/L has been achieved